10.11.2011

Console Wars II

Working on catching up with some new games, and other things.

Something I was thinking the other day:


I kinda wish that the new Wii U peripheral device thing WAS the new portable 3DS thing. Why not? It's got everything that's awesome: Touch screen. Double analog controller thingies. A camera thing, and all the other usual buttons. You could even slap the 3D mode on there. It's big. It's awesome. It's in HD. If Nintendo could get their act together and make some apps, it could double as an internet type device like my iPad.

But I don't think that will ever happen. Don't get me wrong... the 3DS is awesome. But as a first generation device it has some flaws that need to be figured out before I consider it.

I like the new 3DS. The games being developed for this next generation portable console are awesome. But I don't care for the double screen Game & Watch design nostalgia. Time for a redesign. I don't like the split screen thing. I hate it when games split the action between screens, or leaves one of the screens as a useless menu dump or as a way to compensate not having additional controls.



And with the 3DS they then figured that some games would need a second analog joystick thingy. So they made this contraption. It cradles the 3DS in an awkward way, like when your aunt or uncle tries to hug you. I expect a redesign will address this issue. Who knows.

Bottom line:

I like that Nintendo makes some interesting stuff. I like the 3DS despite it's flaws. From a design standpoint I wish the Wii U peripheral was a portable gaming system tablet device, untethered from a home console. The 3DS should be redesigned.






No comments:

Post a Comment