12.02.2011

Sonic the Hedgehog CD




I've been on a SEGA kick lately. I'm really interested about SEGA because for the most part I shunned their games and consoles during what I like to call my "Dark Super Nintendo Years". Doing research for some interesting games to play have led me into the what I thought was a bleak and dark void of SEGA territory. I was wrong and I blame Nintendo for brainwashing me with their "Play it Loud" series of advertising. What I've found is that while I still hate the SEGA Genesis (mainly for it's cheap sounding synthesizer sound), anything else that SEGA made was totally awesome and often on the cutting edge. Did they take too many risks to wean people away from Nintendo? Perhaps. I'll have to look at that another time.

I had a friend who ended up getting a SEGA Genesis and he got a SEGA CD for Christmas. I remember playing this game and thinking how awesome the game was, because it was different than the other Sonic games that I had played before... because it was on a CD-ROM. At that time CD-ROM drives had first appeared on computers, and the SEGA CD add on was my first experience playing a console game from a shiny compact disc instead of a floppy or cartridge. That leap of technology was crazy for a kid such as myself at the time. The visuals were pretty amazing back then, and though the SEGA CD wasn't popular, it certainly gave me a taste of what future consoles would be capable of.

Development

According to the internets, Sonic CD was developed at the same time as Sonic 2, and it kind of shows. Though both games were developed by different teams, there are some similarities in level design and the feel of both games are really close to each other. Sonic CD was going to be Sonic 2, it became something else entirely with the addition of time travel and other mechanics. The original creator of Sonic, Naoto Ōshima, led the development of Sonic CD, and while the game lacks the difficulty of the first,  it expands the ideas and theme of the original game. The incredible popularity of Sonic 2 in America pushed back the release of Sonic CD, and may have caused last minute changes to the game while in development.

Cut scenes for the game were produced by anime giant Toei Animation. They look good, and for kids with limited exposure to anime back in 1994, it looks pretty sweet.


Interestingly enough, SEGA has remastered Sonic CD for widescreen release on Xbox 360 and PS3 networks this holiday season.



Box Art
The box art for every version of Sonic CD is different and each of them reuse the same figures for both Sonic and Metal Sonic. I have to say that the Japanese version looks very 1990's with the crazy geometric patterns and squiggles. Sonic on the American version looks weird.... almost like Mickey Mouse and possibly similar to the Archie Sonic comics that were published around the same time. And all of them are misleading in a way because Metal Sonic is only in a few places in the actual game.

US version

Japan version

Europe version

PC version

My first impressions playing Sonic CD after all this time were that it looks and feels a lot like the first Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm not certain if the CD-ROM allowed for better graphics, because it looks very similar to the cartridge Sonics in terms of game-play and graphical output in general. The music and sound are what make this game superior to anything that was available around 1994. The CD made it possible for a studio quality soundtrack on top of the sound effects, and it works very well. This was something I wouldn't hear until a few years later when I started playing games on the Sony PlayStation. But wow, even today it sounds pretty good.

Interestingly enough, and I don't know why video game developers do weird things like this, there are two different soundtracks for the game. The original Japanese version and the American version. The Japanese version has samples of a Bootsy Collins/George Clinton song in parts of the boss music. Interesting stuff.


Results
This is my take on most of the early Sonic games that I've played: Sonic screams through levels running super fast, which is enjoyable. Then inevitably there are obstacles that are thrown in your path which slow you down... like enemies, spikes, pits, water, and the well placed bumper things that send you flying back. Sonic CD had plenty of all of those, but it seemed like there were a lot more bumpers than I was used to compared to other Sonic games. That's frustrating. In most platform type games you can explore around, find secrets, and hidden areas. In Sonic games you want to run as fast as you can, and you pass by everything at blinding speed, which leaves all the secrets and things undiscovered. I feel like levels are designed to trap the player in mazes, or allow the player to zoom through. In most cases I was able to finish most areas in about 2 minutes.

Sonic CD rewards the player for exploring around with the time travel mechanic that can put you in a future or past version of every level. By going into the past and destroying a secret machine, you can put yourself in a "good future" with less difficulty, enemies, etc. During my quick playthrough, I only managed to go back in time a couple of times... but never really got around to destroying any machines or collecting enough rings for bonus levels. If you complete all seven bonus stages and collect every Time Stone, you get the good ending. I did not get the good ending. Collecting Time Stones, or Chaos Emeralds, or whatever else in Sonic games are for the hardcore player.... and I have never been able to do it.


As far as the game goes, it seemed kinda easy. I didn't die until one of the final stages, and that was mostly from the Metal Sonic race stage. If I was careful or lucky enough, I could just run and jump my way through most levels very quickly. Like I said before, the downside to passing through levels that fast is you miss all the textures and secrets in the game. I also wish there was more inclusion of Metal Sonic, aside from the front cover of the game and a few other places... he isn't really there.



The only struggle I had was in the second to last stage where I was stuck in the past, and it seemed like it was physically impossible to make a jump and exit the level. I was seemingly lost in a maze of platforms, tubes, and repeating sections. After going into the future again, I was able to clear the trouble section pretty easily. Not sure why it was so hard, but I think I spent close to 40 minutes there. The boss fights in the game were too easy. Dr Robotnik/Eggman was a pushover in the end, and with one ring left I hit his robot thing a few times and that was it. Done.

This is the actual low resolution Sonic CD anime ending. I can't help but think that this small anime clip helped to influence the multiple cartoon series and perhaps future games in the series. Especially the part where Metal Sonic and Sonic are racing. Who knows. I thought it was an awesome end to the game, and these anime cut scenes  would become a staple for many games on the SEGA Saturn. More games need stuff like this.





The bad ending screen. Bummer. Should have tried harder.  Oh well

VICTORY!

Statistics:

Deaths: 24 Game Overs: 8 Continues 8 Levels: 21 Trips to the Future: 4 Trips to the Past: 4 Bonus Stages: 1 Secret Machines destroyed: 1 High Score: 115000 Approximate time: 1 1/2 hours.

Sonic the Hedgehog CD®, and all associated video games, music, characters, etc. are owned by SEGA - all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment